CLOSED - Application: Pyra (Warlock)

Old, completed applications will eventually be moved here to keep the main application forum clean.
Pyra

CLOSED - Application: Pyra (Warlock)

Post by Pyra » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:20 pm

{Pyra - Name of the character under which you are applying.}
[/size][/b]

All Characters:
Pyra(lock), Pawprint(druid), Zifa(Priest), Sunica(Rouge)E - List all relevant characters. We do not care about non-max-level characters.

Where did you hear about Riot?
Trade chat, random people when I was on horde side and Riot people that stand around in stormwind.

Do you know anyone in Riot who can vouch for you? If yes, who are they and how do you know them?
Zpritien - Acquaintance. Answer both parts of this question. "Vouch" means that they will support your application. Having just spoken to someone about applying does not count.

Tell us why Riot should be interested in you. What benefit can you bring to the guild?
Well, I constantly try and get better at my class, I try and do things outside of my class set role. I can bring high dps, utility, and in MoP Shoulder enchants.

How long have you played this game?
I started the day ICC came out.

What other guilds have you been in? Why did you leave?
SCH(Horde) I started to play swtor.
Ark (Horde) They died off when the leader left server.
Omen (Horde) I went Alliance.
AR - They weren't a real raiding guild.

Describe your endgame raiding experience. Include the current and previous box release, if possible.
I am 8/8h DS, 7/8h FL, I've cleared all other Cata raids and ICC while progression on different toons.

Describe your specs. What is your preferred spec? Do you have a secondary spec? If so, what are your gear and experience like with the secondary spec?
Right now I am Destro/Demon but I will more than likely be Demon/Affliction for mop. My gear is the same and I know all three lock specializations pretty well.

Describe what skill/spell rotation you use in your primary spec. If a rotation is not appropriate, what is your priority list?
Curse of Elements, Keep Immolate up, Conflagerate on cooldown, Chaos bolt 1-3 charges depending on how much burst you want, Replace Chaos bolt with Shadowburn for execute(20%)

What websites do you use to keep current on your class?
Icy Veins, Noxxic, Elitist Jerks

Do you research boss fights before your guild attempts them? What websites do you use to become familiar with new boss strategies?
Always and constantly, I go to Learn to raid or I watch them on youtube.

We raid 25-man endgame content three nights per week: 8 PM - 12 AM Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday -- all times Eastern U.S. Are you able to make these days and times?
Yes sir.

Describe any prior commitments that could change your raiding availability.
My personal Guild (That I raid lead.) Raids on completely different days and will never conflict.

Riot requires that you always bring all necessary consumables for our 25-man raids. This includes flasks/food/potions/etc., and covers all fights -- easymode and progression, normal mode and heroic. Would this be a problem for you?
Not at all.

List your professions and any relevant special epic/rare recipes you have.
Herbalism and Inscription.

Post a link with a screenshot of your UI in a raid environment or, at the very least, of your UI in combat. Describe what you use for class-specific functions (cooldown timers, raid (de)buffs, damage/healing tracking, etc.) and why.
http://imgur.com/L6I3u I use OmniCC, A mix of skada and Recount, DBM, I'm constantly trying new add ons.

Post link(s) displaying your recent raid performance. Recount log, World of Logs ... something that gives us a clue what you can do.
I havn't done a world of logs on this toon since my transfer to Alliance, but I would be more than willing to go to a dummy and dps for someone that wants to see. I apologize.

Have you raided with any other characters as your main during the current content release? If so, why did you switch?
I have raided as a Healing Priest, Healing Druid and Boomkin Druid before my lock. The reason I played those toons and the one I do now is because my raid needed that class/role and I was more than happy to switch for progression.

We define ourselves as a "hard casual" guild. That means we are committed to doing the best we can in 25-mans for the 3 nights (12 hours) we raid per week, no more, no less. We do not push a fourth night for progression. We do not require guild members to do off-night 10-mans, although many of our members choose to do this in their spare time. Is this acceptable to you?
Yes sir.

Do you have any guild, raid, or class leadership experience? If so, describe it.
I raid leaded in SCH, I currently run a raid and guild now (Phoenix Rising.) and during ICC days I was a healing leader.

We seek team players, people who want to do right by the raid and the guild. Me-firsters and loot whores are not desirable. We also seek coverage in all classes such that we'll always have enough to raid, which means you might have to sit on occasion. Do you have any concerns regarding this? (If yes, elaborate. And be honest here, as temper tantrums will not be tolerated once you're in the guild.)
Sounds good to me, I'm used to switching if the raid needs another type of class or If I don't need anything from that boss. More than willing to be a team player.

How old are you

Do you have a reliable computer and a stable internet connection? (Describe any known issues impacting game performance, including a shared internet connection, old computer, etc.)
Brand new computer, great internet, all good to go.

Do you have a Blizzard authenticator? If not, please let us know if you would have trouble obtaining one.
I use the cellphone one, yes.

We use Mumble (NOT Ventrilo) for voice chat during raids and as such it is required that you be able to install and run it. You must, at the very least, be able to hear raid leaders during raids and, depending on your role, you may need to be able to speak. Do you understand?
Yes sir. I've used mumble when doing hard modes for Swtor.

Do you own a working Microphone?
Yes Sir.

Thank you for your time and consideration, I'm more than willing to change anything about my class, UI and the way I play when I raid with a group.
Last edited by Pyra on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pyra

Re: {Pyra, Warlock}

Post by Pyra » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Sorry just wanted to add my armor as well.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/g ... yra/simple

Tedkoppel
Retiree

Re: PENDING - Application: Pyra (Warlock)

Post by Tedkoppel » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:11 am

Thanks for the app.
Pyra wrote:Describe any prior commitments that could change your raiding availability.
My personal Guild (That I raid lead.) Raids on completely different days and will never conflict.
Does this mean you intend to raid with two guilds? Riot recruits mains only. Even when schedules shouldn't conflict, in our experience, folks who stretch themselves thin tend to disappear after a while. Could you clarify whether you're looking for a full-time guild or a second guild?

Pyra

Post by Pyra » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:00 am

I do intend to raid with two guilds, as I did a lot on Horde side because I have so many capped characters and so much free time, but Pyra will always be my main and whatever raid group that character is, comes first no questions asked. It's the same reason I do old content daily, I play to raid and would do it at all time if I could when I'm on.

The reason I applied in the first place is because as much as I love my guild and what not, people don't show up very much and I would like to find raiders that actually down heroics, want to progress and show up for raids.

I've never had an issue with raiding with two guilds and all I can say is I will show up to every raid I sign up to, your guild would come first over everything, and Pyra is and will be my main. All I can really give is my word here.

Shibumi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shibumi » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:30 am

Hey there. Thanks for the application. I just wanted to chime in to mention (so it's said explicitly) that as we're at the end of Cataclysm and our own raiders will be, starting next week, leveling up to cap, gearing up and starting into raids, there will be a necessary gap of time between now and when we are realistically able to offer you a trial in a main raid.

If you could spend a little time on a dummy and show both the main window (of Recount or Skada) and the skill breakdown afterward, that would be very helpful.

Tedkoppel
Retiree

Post by Tedkoppel » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:00 pm

I know we're at the end of the expansion, specs/rotations just changed everything for everybody a couple weeks ago, simcraft numbers are unreliable, stat weights are certainly less cut-and-dried for performance purposes than they were prior to 5.0.4, but hey, we have to ask a few questions about the character, so I'll start.

1.) As a destruction warlock, please explain current stat priorities (Int, Hit Cap, Haste, Crit, Mastery) as you understand them in 5.0.5 + level 85, and how you've applied that in your gear/gemming/enchants. Would you say you've achieved optimal stat weights as you intended, or have you tweaked them to your specific playstyle? Are any adjustments in flux due to switching between destro and demo?

2.) I noticed that despite being around Normal gear ilvl, you slotted the expensive gems, which is very good (and expected). And you definitely went all-out with the transmogs, so you've got the RP covered. You've made nearly 20 runs on the lock through at least most of Normal mode DS, according to the Armory, along with some front-end heroic DS. So given those investments, please explain which pieces of gear could have better enchants and what they should be.

3.) As a retiring lock who is concerned about future coverage in Riot's lock class, I have to be a dick and address this for the sake of clarity, as we've had a number of full-throttle dedicated raiders who burned themselves out by spreading themselves too thin. Under most circumstances, two guilds and raiding schedules collectively represent a big problem unless the second raid is clearly an alt run. In this case, it's for a guild AND raid you actually run, so you're going to be personally vested in that. And while I believe you told another guildie that you would consider this second run perhaps a one-night commitment in terms of raiding time, that seems to reflect an end-content midset -- DS is easily doable in a night even by bad guilds, but when new instances open, it takes months of 2-3 nights per week grinds to get to that point. So I would simply ask: practically speaking, how will you balance time and commitment between two guilds when learning (and half-leading) new endgame raids without driving yourself nuts?

Grindewald
Title: <Theorycrafter>

Post by Grindewald » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Also, please make sure you are logged out in your Destro gear/reforges.

Pyra

Post by Pyra » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Tedkoppel wrote:I know we're at the end of the expansion, specs/rotations just changed everything for everybody a couple weeks ago, simcraft numbers are unreliable, stat weights are certainly less cut-and-dried for performance purposes than they were prior to 5.0.4, but hey, we have to ask a few questions about the character, so I'll start.

1.) As a destruction warlock, please explain current stat priorities (Int, Hit Cap, Haste, Crit, Mastery) as you understand them in 5.0.5 + level 85, and how you've applied that in your gear/gemming/enchants. Would you say you've achieved optimal stat weights as you intended, or have you tweaked them to your specific playstyle? Are any adjustments in flux due to switching between destro and demo?

2.) I noticed that despite being around Normal gear ilvl, you slotted the expensive gems, which is very good (and expected). And you definitely went all-out with the transmogs, so you've got the RP covered. You've made nearly 20 runs on the lock through at least most of Normal mode DS, according to the Armory, along with some front-end heroic DS. So given those investments, please explain which pieces of gear could have better enchants and what they should be.

3.) As a retiring lock who is concerned about future coverage in Riot's lock class, I have to be a dick and address this for the sake of clarity, as we've had a number of full-throttle dedicated raiders who burned themselves out by spreading themselves too thin. Under most circumstances, two guilds and raiding schedules collectively represent a big problem unless the second raid is clearly an alt run. In this case, it's for a guild AND raid you actually run, so you're going to be personally vested in that. And while I believe you told another guildie that you would consider this second run perhaps a one-night commitment in terms of raiding time, that seems to reflect an end-content midset -- DS is easily doable in a night even by bad guilds, but when new instances open, it takes months of 2-3 nights per week grinds to get to that point. So I would simply ask: practically speaking, how will you balance time and commitment between two guilds when learning (and half-leading) new endgame raids without driving yourself nuts?
1. My best stat is Int it gives me the most damage increase by giving me spell power and crit, my second would be hit So I never miss (Missing a long cast time like chaos bolt would be horrible.). After that would be haste, the more haste I have the faster my dot ticks, the faster I can throw out my incinerates and the faster I can gain/cast Chaos bolt charges. Crit is after that, it increases my crit damage of course but since my chaos bolt is an auto crit it increases it's damage. I don't stack mastery because it dosn't give me too much damage and does nothing with my chaos bolt as haste and crit effect everything.

I really hope that all made sense. Int > hit > Haste > crit > mastery. I believe I havn't tweeked them out EXACTLY what I want because I keep trying other spec constantly too see the damage, but it's tweeked for what I like to do and pulls decent damage. And when I go demo all my stats change so I have to reforge completely, chant and what not to pull the top dps as I can.

2. For enchantments, I could have gotten better wrist, gloves, boots(possible if I wanted movement over more mastery.) Int wrists, haste gloves. For gear I only had the choices for my heroic shoulders, Tier Shoulders, Spine Gloves and , Tier Gloves. The heroic/Tier combo gave me more of the stats I wanted and a bit more int. And don't laugh at my trinket too much, as much as I've run DS I've lost every single casting one that has dropped. Haha.

I take a lot of pride in my transmog, I farm dungeons constantly for every single piece, my void storage is full with nothing but rare staves, daggers and swords. =) Thank you for noticing.

3. I expect you to be a dick, and I welcome it, I did raid with ARK and SCH on horde side after all. If I didn't have thick skin I wouldn't of lasted there. And no I haven't spoken to any guildie about any type of second run for mop, until things are "on farm" I understand how long progression can take. I've only talked to them about cata alt runs taking one nights because it does.

I understand my own guild, my own raid would be more of an alt run. As I have put before Pyra > My other toons. I personally hate all type of applications for WoW, and I wouldn't of done one if I didn't think I could do it, be there, do my best and impress you.

As for my time balance. I work mornings, right after is classes, some classes online, then I am on WoW for raiding always on time, and very early before raid to make sure my dps is doing okay, I have my consumables and to help the guild any way possible before raid. You've seen my transmog, my DS runs, my other runs. If you look at my other toons I've done it more than even that. It takes a WHOLE lot to burn me out, it has to when I like to run progression with all my toons every week (when they are on farm of course). No need to worry about me being burnt out, I enjoy the game and the aspect of raiding way too much.

And who said I wasn't nuts already?

Jokes aside, it takes a LOT to offend me, so please don't hold back on things you have to say. And you can always find out with the trial run if I'm serious about everything I've said so far, to an extent anyways.

Pyra

Post by Pyra » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Shibumi wrote:Hey there. Thanks for the application. I just wanted to chime in to mention (so it's said explicitly) that as we're at the end of Cataclysm and our own raiders will be, starting next week, leveling up to cap, gearing up and starting into raids, there will be a necessary gap of time between now and when we are realistically able to offer you a trial in a main raid.

If you could spend a little time on a dummy and show both the main window (of Recount or Skada) and the skill breakdown afterward, that would be very helpful.

http://imgur.com/zIbwF

I hope that's what you wanted, I spent about 3-4 min on the targets. Not too long but enough to give you some type of numbers. My spikes are insane at the moment when I chaos bolt. =D

Pyra

Post by Pyra » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Grindewald wrote:Also, please make sure you are logged out in your Destro gear/reforges.

Yes sir, sorry, I like to play around in my demo spec because it makes gear farming easier, and the wings are too pretty not to show.

Tedkoppel
Retiree

Post by Tedkoppel » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:36 am

Pyra wrote:1. My best stat is Int it gives me the most damage increase by giving me spell power and crit, my second would be hit So I never miss (Missing a long cast time like chaos bolt would be horrible.). After that would be haste, the more haste I have the faster my dot ticks, the faster I can throw out my incinerates and the faster I can gain/cast Chaos bolt charges. Crit is after that, it increases my crit damage of course but since my chaos bolt is an auto crit it increases it's damage. I don't stack mastery because it dosn't give me too much damage and does nothing with my chaos bolt as haste and crit effect everything.

I really hope that all made sense. Int > hit > Haste > crit > mastery. I believe I havn't tweeked them out EXACTLY what I want because I keep trying other spec constantly too see the damage, but it's tweeked for what I like to do and pulls decent damage. And when I go demo all my stats change so I have to reforge completely, chant and what not to pull the top dps as I can.
At 85 and 5.0.4+, Mastery is surprisingly good for Destro. Some peg it as top stat after Int and Hit (ref 1). Some have it as more or less on par with haste and crit (ref 2). Prior to 5.0.4, if you weren't in mostly Heroic gear, Int > Hit > Haste > Crit > Mast was indeed usually the standard EJ stat order (Mast > Crit with heroic gear -- ref 3), but that's not so much the case now, and there's heated debate as to how that will shake out at 90 endgame. I only ran destro in raid a couple times after 5.0.4, so Grindewald could better speak to whether or not the Mastery improvement was worth the adjustments -- it was in my sims and dummy tests, especially when I changed up trinkets -- but it was a little something extra added to most of the standard guides (icyveins, wowraid) with the major patches, and I wanted to see if you'd noticed it.
2. For enchantments, I could have gotten better wrist, gloves, boots(possible if I wanted movement over more mastery.) Int wrists, haste gloves. For gear I only had the choices for my heroic shoulders, Tier Shoulders, Spine Gloves and , Tier Gloves. The heroic/Tier combo gave me more of the stats I wanted and a bit more int. And don't laugh at my trinket too much, as much as I've run DS I've lost every single casting one that has dropped. Haha.
Lavawalker! Don't be the person who claims perfect SA. :) Anyway, the observation about the enchantments was more that you should've shelled out for the better versions. It seemed curious that you would put the extra effort in for the transmogs and then skimp on enchants. The gear may not be BiS but it's certainly good enough to warrant the better enchants, and you spent enough time doing at least Normal DS to justify having it. Not a huge point, just something to keep in mind when gear improves past LFR in the future.
It takes a WHOLE lot to burn me out, it has to when I like to run progression with all my toons every week (when they are on farm of course). No need to worry about me being burnt out, I enjoy the game and the aspect of raiding way too much.
Fair enough!

Thanks for answering the questions so far. I'm sure Grindewald will have a few.

Grindewald
Title: <Theorycrafter>

Post by Grindewald » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:54 am

Hey Pyra,

Thanks for the app! Got a few more questions for you:

1) What is the best Grimoire for Destruction at 85? Bonus points if you can tell me what is best at 90?

2) Destruction gains a few useful spells on the way to 90. How might those change your rotation at 90?

3) In your stat weights you said you value haste over mastery? Why do use hybrid gems with mastery on them?

Now, just a few comments regarding your answers to Ted's questions. Firstly, mastery is far from useless for Destruction. At 90, you will primarily stack mastery over haste and crit. Chaos Bolt does benefit from Destruction Mastery. Refer to the second part of the tooltip: Emberstorm. Chaos Bolt being an "ember consuming spell".

Also, regarding your stat weights. While you are mostly correct that it is better to stack haste at 85 around your gear level, there is a point at which the value of haste greatly diminishes. Here are your current scale factors:

This leads me to a fourth question:

4) At what haste rating does crit become better, and why?

Shibumi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shibumi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:13 am

You were lucky enough to apply as the same class as our head theorycrafter :).

Pyra

Post by Pyra » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:29 am

Grindewald wrote:Hey Pyra,

Thanks for the app! Got a few more questions for you:

1) What is the best Grimoire for Destruction at 85? Bonus points if you can tell me what is best at 90?

2) Destruction gains a few useful spells on the way to 90. How might those change your rotation at 90?

3) In your stat weights you said you value haste over mastery? Why do use hybrid gems with mastery on them?

Now, just a few comments regarding your answers to Ted's questions. Firstly, mastery is far from useless for Destruction. At 90, you will primarily stack mastery over haste and crit. Chaos Bolt does benefit from Destruction Mastery. Refer to the second part of the tooltip: Emberstorm. Chaos Bolt being an "ember consuming spell".

Also, regarding your stat weights. While you are mostly correct that it is better to stack haste at 85 around your gear level, there is a point at which the value of haste greatly diminishes. Here are your current scale factors:

This leads me to a fourth question:

4) At what haste rating does crit become better, and why?
Before I open my mouth about anything, this is what I've been told by asking other locks and looking at the sites I use and what not.

1. Service is right now the best. Sacrifice is at 90 from the numbers I am seeing right now. I will be sure to test out the dps when I hit 90 before and after I get geared of course to see what I can personally do better with.

2.Pyroclasm would only be used on movement parts when I get hit of course. And as for Pandemic, before researching I would figure you would refresh immolate either immediately after you cast it the first time or then it has 51%+ of the dot left on it to get the full effect of it. Again I havn't been able to test it myself so I couldn't tell you properly. The level 90 talents are all situational.

Arch Ven for when youre getting a lot of damage, Kil for movements, Man fury for aoe situations.

3. The same with my mastery enchants, they are there from when I was demon and I was still testing out stats. I actually was waiting on my JC to log in today so I could change them when he logged in, I have soo many left over ones haha. It's not that I'm lazy, I just didn't want to waste the money when almost daily I was switching between stats and specs to see what does better, to see how much more I could pull with reforge changes.

4. I have never personally done any type of theory crafted for my class, I've only used add on's or mr robot to reforge my gear for me or I do it myself If I personally think the stat is better. So I would do what I've been doing. I would walk up to you, look at your gear/stats and then ask you. I only see two other locks on daily around me, and you're the only one with better gear. Most the sites I use don't have level 90 things on them yet or I can't make heads or tails out of the information.

I hope that dosn't make me look like an idiot. I reforge into things, try out everything possible and switch when I'm told something is better and try that out usually no questions asked.

And I swear to God I didn't see the second part of mastery till just now. I'm not sure if the tooltip poped up or I just skimmed it too fast, so I apologize and I thank you for the information.

Pyra

Post by Pyra » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:33 am

As for Ted's post I think when I answered Grind's questions I answered most of yours as well. I will be sure to go to that site and look up all I can, thank you for showing me it, I've never seen it before.

I will be sure to put more money into better enchants in the future.