DEFERRED: Hellborne (Unholy / Frost Death Knight)

Old, completed applications will eventually be moved here to keep the main application forum clean.
Hellborne

DEFERRED: Hellborne (Unholy / Frost Death Knight)

Post by Hellborne » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:14 pm

[/size][/b]

All Max-Level Characters:

Where did you hear about Riot?
Wow Progress (I've also seen some of your players around in game).

Do you know anyone in Riot who can vouch for you? If yes, who are they and how do you know them?
No.

Tell us why Riot should be interested in you. What benefit can you bring to the guild?
I am a loyal, reliable player with a relaxed mindset and a good sense of humor who knows the art of DPS Death Knights like the back of my hand. I am extremely proactive in enhancing my performance, in any way possible. Whether it be running 5 mans, CMs, alt raids, selling mount runs, I am always looking for something to do and hang out with the guildies. My attendance is bulletproof, it is extremely rare that I miss a raid. I made raid the night after my son was born, if that says anything lol. I come to raid fully prepared and with my game face on and take criticism rather well, I'd like to think. I live by a philosophy that an old guildy instilled in me, "Anything for the deeps, baby!" - Basically meaning, I will spend every last cent I have, grind the endless grind, whatever I have to do to gain even .05% dps. I am usually in the 60-90 percentile of my spec on mythic encounters and would like to up that number further in Legion. I am not perfect, but I always give my best.

How long have you played this game?
I created my first toon, a Warlock, during the last week of BC. I was leveling and casual for much of WoTLK and I began pugging my first raids during ToC as a Fury Warrior. So I suppose that would be about 8 years.

What other guilds have you been in? Why did you leave?
Kill Order is the only relevant guild I've been in. I was with them for 4.5 years. With them, I hit every AoTC and came close to Cutting Edge most tiers. I finally achieved Cutting Edge this tier (this was always on a 2 night schedule btw). Long story short, they split a couple weeks ago. I have friends on both sides of the split and am kind of sickened / stressed out about the whole ordeal and feel that moving forward on my own, in a new direction is the best path for me.

Describe your endgame raiding experience. Include the current and previous box release, if possible.
As I briefly mentioned above, I began pugging in ToC and did some pugging for ICC, as well. Joined a couple different guilds on my last server (US-Azgalor) to raid BWD and Firelands, no significant progress there. I joined, "Midnight Fury" and cleared Normal DS with a little bit of Heroic DS while still current content. I then joined Kill Order at the beginning of MoP and began clearing content since then. I consider that to be when I really honed my skills and began to understand the fundamentals of high end raiding. We cleared more and more hard mode content each tier and finally culminated with our Cutting Edge in HFC. Most tiers we would get our AoTC rather early and then clear 40-75% of hard modes. I would like to think that I am fully equipped now for a Cutting Edge achievement every tier from here on out.

Describe your specs. What is your preferred spec? Do you have a secondary spec? If so, what is your gear and experience like for the secondary spec?
I have become used to playing Unholy because it has been better than Frost for ages. In WoD, Frost was pretty much unplayable in a progression raid setting, as it was so far behind. So needless to say, Unholy has grown on me. I enjoyed the NecroBlight playstyle the most throughout this expansion. I am absolutely loving the new variation of Unholy that prepatch has introduced. I played the new Frost quite a bit in Legion Beta and am also very comfortable with that. In my heart, I would love to play Frost because I enjoy the spammy rotation, the idea of dual wielding, and the spec fantasy a little more than Unholy but I will always go where the numbers are. I have been watching DK Discord, Warcraft Logs of some of the more prominent theorycrafters over at MMOC (like JaceDK and his guild), and some of the beta wow threads, trying to get an idea of how they're performing. It appears, no surprise, that Unholy has the edge once again. I think Unholy just comes with a better tool kit. More on demand AoE, pets, better mobility, and even the raw numbers appear to be in Unholy's favor. I will continue monitoring the situation and likely won't have my mind made up until I begin leveling.

Describe what skill/spell rotation you use in your primary spec. If a rotation is not appropriate, what is your priority list?
As Unholy, you would prepot and cast Army, use dark transformation and dark arbiter, cast outbreak to get Virulent Plague up asap and begin building stacks of Festering Wound. The Castigator passive is currently the talent to take, and that assists you in building more stacks and using them more quicky (more damage). Death Coil is the rune spender and you basically keep building stacks and spending them (be sure not to get too low on stacks) while maintaining the dot. Unholy is nice, in that you can pool wound stacks for cleave aoe situations while also dropping Death and Decay for stacked aoe, and still have Epidemic on top of that. I think that's the biggest advantage Unholy will have over Frost is that Frost will only really do well for Cleave / AoE situations when everything is stacked. Unholy is far more dangerous in AoE situations thanks to Epidemic. As someone who immensely enjoy the NecroBlight playstyle, this new Unholy is right up my alley.

We expect you to have current and appropriate gems and enchants when you apply. If you do not have those when we review your application and your character, it will reflect poorly on you. Do you understand?
I understand.

What websites do you use to keep current on your class?
Icy Veins, DK Discord, MMOC's DK Forum, I also have bookmarks of several top DK's armory links. Skullflower was Midwinter's DK and one of the most respected DK theorycrafters around. I used to follow his resource website until Blizzard hired him and he took it down. Since then, no one has really stepped up and taken his place. I also used to follow Mendenbarr's blog but it hasn't been updated since the beginning of this xpac.

Do you research boss fights before your guild attempts them? What websites do you use to become familiar with new boss strategies?
Depending on the strat that the guild elects to use, I have historically always watched Fat Boss strats on youtube. In Kill Order, we always had strats posts with in depth images and videos to go with explanations and we would all contribute to the planning ahead of time. Worked pretty well.

We raid 25-man endgame content from 8 PM to 12 AM EST three nights per week: Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday. Are you able to make these days and times?
Those times work great for me.

Describe any prior commitments that could change your raiding availability.
I have 3 kids (9 yo, 2 yo, and 5 months) so every once in a while I will need to step away for a few seconds but my Fiance is absolutely awesome about letting me have my raid nights and it hasn't been an issue yet.

Riot requires that you always bring all necessary consumables for our 25-man raids. This includes flasks/food/potions/etc., and covers all fights -- easymode and progression, heroic and mythic. Will this be a problem for you?
Not a problem at all. I usually stay flasked and use pots for even the easiest of content.

List your professions and any relevant special/epic/rare recipes you have.
I have 700 max JC and BS. All of my secondary professions are also 700. I'm pretty sure I have every epic / significant recipe available on all my professions. Most of my alts also have max professions to support my main as much as possible.

Post a link with a screenshot of your UI in a raid environment or, at the very least, of your UI in combat. Describe what you use for class-specific functions (cooldown timers, raid (de)buffs, damage/healing tracking, etc.) and why.
If this is really an issue, I can try to get my photoshop working again but I use multiple monitors and my screenshots turn out to be quite a mess. I use the default Blizzard UI. For addons, I use DBM, Exorsus Raid Tools, Weak Auras, Tidy Plates, Skada, GTFO, Decursive, Iskar Assist, and Mark of the Legion Helper, and then Bagnon and some other non raid addons. I am willing to download any and all addons that will help on any given encounter.

Post link(s) displaying your recent raid performance -- a screenshot of Recount/Skada with skill breakdowns showing or a World of Logs parse.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fW ... amage-done

I should have logs dating as far back as Warcraft logs holds them. The link above is one of the last nights before our guild split up.

Have you raided with any other characters as your main during the current content release? If so, why did you switch?
My DK has been my main since Firelands but I always keep my Fury Warrior mythic-ready.

We define ourselves as a "hard casual" guild. That means we are committed to doing the best we can in 25-mans for the 3 nights (12 hours) we raid per week, no more, no less. We do not push a fourth night for progression. We do not require guild members to do off-night 10-mans, although many of our members choose to do this in their spare time. Is this acceptable to you?
This is acceptable. I play often and am always around to do things outside of raid. I consider this an ideal raid schedule, personally.

Do you have any guild, raid, or class leadership experience? If so, describe it.
I was an officer in Kill Order for years and ended up stepping down because I found it to be a little more stress than I'd like on my plate, having 3 kids and being a foreman at work. I am pretty sure I'd never like to be an officer in WoW again lol, I just want to be one of the guys and raid - be the best raider I can be.

We seek team players, people who want to do right by the raid and the guild. Me-firsters and loot whores are not desirable. We also seek coverage in all classes such that we'll always have enough to raid, which means you might have to sit on occasion. Do you have any concerns regarding this? (If yes, elaborate. And be honest here, as temper tantrums will not be tolerated once you're in the guild.)
At the end of the day, being a part of a team of friends who will continue to raid together long in to the future is far more important to me than any loot or mount. Loot comes and goes but a healthy guild that provides stability and longevity is #1. I also understand that raid comps sometimes need to be adjusted to overcome a progression encounter and that is okay. I wouldn't enjoy riding the bench every week and am seeking a core spot somewhere, but I totally understand having to sit once in a while and that is okay.

How old are you

Do you have a reliable computer and a stable internet connection? (Describe any known issues impacting game performance, including a shared internet connection, old computer, etc.)
I just bought a new desktop with a 6th gen i5, 12 GB Ram, 2 TB HD, and installed a GTX 950 a few months back. I also have an awesome cable internet connection which hasn't given me any issues in the 3 years of living at this residence. I am good to go!

Do you have a Battle.net Authenticator attached to your account? If not, please let us know if you would have trouble obtaining one.
Yes I sure do, never been hacked.

We use Mumble (NOT Ventrilo) for voice chat during raids and as such it is required that you be able to install and run it. You must, at the very least, be able to hear raid leaders during raids and, depending on your role, you may need to be able to speak. Do you understand?
I've used mumble as a primary means of comms for 4.5 years now so that is fine with me.

Do you own a working Microphone?
Yes.

Tellara
Retiree
Title: <Speed Shield>

Re: Hellborne (Unholy / Frost Death Knight)

Post by Tellara » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:38 pm

Thanks for the application! We'll review and get back to you shortly.

Tellara
Retiree
Title: <Speed Shield>

Post by Tellara » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:09 pm

Hi Hellborne,

We would like to invite you to raid with us in a trial run at 7:45 PM EST on Wednesday/Thursday (we're focusing on Manno/Archi) of the week of Monday, August 15th. Your trial will continue on the same nights and times on the following week. Please confirm here if you are able to attend.

Thanks,
Tellara

Hellborne

Post by Hellborne » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:05 am

Sure thing. I'll be there.

Hellborne

Post by Hellborne » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:11 pm

Hey, I really appreciate the trial and giving me a shot here. Some of my long-time buddies have convinced me to help rebuild our guild and it was a hard choice because you guys seemed like an awesome fit for me, but I owe it to these guys to help out. I figured I'd post this here so that you guys aren't stuck waiting on me. Thank you very much for your time!

Satan
Retiree

Post by Satan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks for giving us an update. We wish you the best of luck in Legion!