DEFERRED: Charrone (Prot Warrior)

Old, completed applications will eventually be moved here to keep the main application forum clean.
Charrone

DEFERRED: Charrone (Prot Warrior)

Post by Charrone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:54 am

[/size][/b]

All Max-Level Characters:
Charrone - Prot warrior, I'm not much of an alt player, all alts are still at 100

Where did you hear about Riot?
Found post on Sargeras forms and saw recruitment post in general chat while looking for a new home.

Do you know anyone in Riot who can vouch for you? If yes, who are they and how do you know them?
Sorry, I do not know anyone in Riot. I hope that can change!

Tell us why Riot should be interested in you. What benefit can you bring to the guild?
I love to tank, and there's plenty of things to tank in the game now! As a player, I have no outside commitments or family that would keep me from raiding on a regular basis (during scheduled times at least). I always come prepared with proper consumables, and am not afraid to ask questions or admit that I made a mistake. I know progression can be stressful, but I've been doing this long enough that I don't let it stress me out (and when it does, that's why man created whiskey!). Drama, don't start none, don't be none. I'm pretty chill.

How long have you played this game?
I have played WoW since February 2005 and have played nonstop except for 3 months during Black Temple progression (personal reasons).

What other guilds have you been in? Why did you leave?
I transferred from Kil'Jaeden last year, as it went to a very heavy Horde population during MoP (went by the name Charron there, if you're looking at history). On Sargeras, I have been with Zephyros (the transfer guild), and Kill Order. Both guilds fell apart due to attendance issues and officer burnout.

Describe your endgame raiding experience. Include the current and previous box release, if possible.
I have been tanking since Vanilla, all raids except old Naxx. I pretty much have pushed Heroic modes since Cataclysm. I can provide a full historical breakdown to the best of my knowledge if requested. As of this expansion, I am 2/7M EN, 3/3N ToV, and 1/10H NH.

Describe your specs. What is your preferred spec? Describe what skill/spell rotation you use in your primary spec. If a rotation is not appropriate, what is your priority list?
My preferred spec is Protection. I have not played a main DPS spec in raiding since Cataclysm days, and even that was in an Offspec role to help another tank get gear and experience for backup bench. Spell rotations nowadays are heavily tied to Legendaries. With the legendary prot gloves, I always hit Devastate before using Thunderclap or Shield Slam due to the 20% extra damage and rage generation; it helps my rage generation for Shield Block and Ignore Pains a lot. I do tend to focus on survival over DPS, so Revenge will only get hit if I get the free proc from dodges and parries, or if I have an abundance of rage. I use Intercept on my co-tank often to help with damage intake when they are tanking. Ravager is used as a defensive cool down or to assist with AoE. I make full use of my mobility, when appropriate. I always try to keep Ignore Pain or Shield Block up, depending on circumstances; I use weak auras to assist in this.

We expect you to have current and appropriate gems and enchants when you apply. If you do not have those when we review your application and your character, it will reflect poorly on you. Do you understand?
I understand, I usually carry gems and enchanting mats on me in the event I get new gear and can upgrade mid-raid.

What websites do you use to research on your class and new boss strategies?
I usually check Icy Veins for class data, I don't use sim sites as much as I probably should, but I am aware of stat priorities. For boss strategies, WoWHead has been picking up in raid coverage. For videos, I usually watch Fatboss and Line of Sight Two Minute Tips. I may watch other kill videos if I am having a problem with understanding a fight that we may be struggling on. I also tune into Final Boss podcast every now and then, especially when they discuss prot warriors.

We raid 20-man endgame content from 9 PM to 12 AM EST / 8-11 CST three nights per week: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Are you able to make these days and times?
Yes I can, they are good times. I get home from work at 6 CST.

Describe any prior commitments that could change your raiding availability.
I live in California, so if there's an earthquake...yeah I'm out. :D Otherwise, no family, kids, pets, or anything that may take me away from the raid. If phone rings, I usually don't answer unless it is important.

Riot requires that you always bring all necessary consumables for our 20-man raids. This includes flasks/food/potions/etc., and covers all fights -- easymode, heroic and mythic progression. Will this be a problem for you?
Not a problem, I always come prepared with plenty of consumables.

Post a link with a screenshot of your UI in a raid environment or, at the very least, of your UI in combat. Describe what you use for class-specific functions (cooldown timers, raid (de)buffs, damage/healing tracking, etc.) and why.

I use BigWigs and Exorsus for raid/boss mods. TukUI forms the basis of my UI, so it is very clean. Weak Auras track my most important CDs and uptime on timers for Ignore Pain and Shield Block. CoolLine updates me on CDs. For meters, I use Skada and Omen.

Post link(s) displaying your recent raid performance -- a screenshot of Recount/Skada with skill breakdowns showing or parses.
M Emerald Nightmare kills - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 996462/10/
H Skorpyron - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... #boss=1849

Have you raided with any other characters as your main during the current content release? If so, why did you switch?
This character has been my only character I have played this expansion.

We define ourselves as a "hard casual" guild. That means we are committed to doing the best we can in 20-mans for the 3 nights (12 hours) we raid per week, no more, no less. We do not push a fourth night for progression. We do not require guild members to do off-night or alt runs, although many of our members choose to do this in their spare time. Is this acceptable to you?
That is totally fine, schedule works good for me, my previous guilds have had this schedule as well.

Do you have any guild, raid, or class leadership experience? If so, describe it.
I used to be an officer of a guild back in Vanilla and Burning Crusade days, mostly helped with loot decisions and strategy discussions. Helped keep strategies up to date on guild forums with links to videos and pertinent info.

We seek team players, people who want to do right by the raid and the guild. Me-firsters and loot whores are not desirable. We also seek coverage in all classes such that we'll always have enough to raid, which means you might have to sit on occasion. Do you have any concerns regarding this? (If yes, elaborate. And be honest here, as temper tantrums will not be tolerated once you're in the guild.)
No problems, whatever helps progression.

How old are you
42!

Do you have a reliable computer and a stable internet connection? (Describe any known issues impacting game performance, including a shared internet connection, old computer, etc.)
I have a UPS for my computer, and a separate UPS for my router and modem. I am prepared! 32GB RAM, SSD drives, NVIDIA 1070, older Intel 2600K processor, but it still hangs in there pretty good! Being on the West Coast, I do get some lag when playing due to distance from server. On raids I usually get from 70-120ms. I usually turn off any outside downloading or streaming to minimize issues when raiding; I do miss being on Kil'Jaeden, I would usually get 20-30ms on raid nights!

Do you have a Battle.net Authenticator attached to your account? If not, please let us know if you would have trouble obtaining one.
Yes, it is tied to my cell phone.

We use Mumble and sometimes Discord for voice chat during raids and as such it is required that you be able to install and run it. You must, at the very least, be able to hear raid leaders during raids and, depending on your role, you may need to be able to speak. Do you understand?
I understand, Ventrilo, Mumble, and Discord are all installed. I have no problem communicating on voice chat.

Thanks for your time and consideration. Regardless of your decision, good luck in NIghthold and future endeavors!

Cerinety
Officer

Re: Charrone (Prot Warrior)

Post by Cerinety » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:03 am

Can you post a link to armory and also take a pic of your artifact weapon and post that also thanks =D

Charrone

Post by Charrone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:35 am

The armory link is built into my name up there, but here it is again: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... one/simple

Artifact Weapon

Satan
Retiree

Post by Satan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Hey Charrone,

I have a few additional questions for you.

What do you thick of the artifact ability and in what situations do you use it?

What are your thoughts on Devastator vs. Indomitable?

Do you usually use Ravager over the other two options? If so, explain why.

Can you explain why you choose to enchant for mastery, especially on your neck piece?

Thoughts on trinkets in Legion? Which ones would you prefer to use?

Which encounter was your favorite to tank (whether current or past)?

Thanks,
Saytin

Charrone

Post by Charrone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks for the follow up. I'm at work right now so I will respond this afternoon. Not sure why I have mastery on my neck, should be haste. Very odd, but easily corrected. Thanks for your patience.

Charrone

Post by Charrone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:03 pm

What do you thick of the artifact ability and in what situations do you use it?
I'm not a fan of it, would prefer something defensive oriented (dragons spread and protect me from inc damage or flap furiously, befitting the enemy and causing them to slow attacks), or something interesting like that. I usually use it in conjunction with Battle Cry and Ravager on an AoE need (Nythendra MCs or Skorpyron add packs, for example). I try to time it where I can use it without being interrupted due to movement or enemy abilities. I'll also sometimes use it as a CD on a melee-heavy fight, since parries proc Revenge.

What are your thoughts on Devastator vs. Indomitable?
I'll be honest, and this may put a nail in my coffin, but I didn't read on it until recently. I haven't done research on all the changes from 7.1.5 and on the surface, Devastator seemed lackluster. I read about it earlier this week (via this guide) and it makes sense how the synergy works. Watched some videos about it today and realized its potential if played well. Having the ideal legendary gauntlets helps matters as well. So i will be giving it a try to learn it.

Indomitable is solid, and I may have leaned on it since the raid team I was in, the raid would take a lot of avoidable damage, so I wanted that extra buffer of health. It still is solid, but the payoff for a well-played Devastator spec is worth learning. Whether I am invited or not, I am more or less sold on it, so thank you for asking about this.

Do you usually use Ravager over the other two options? If so, explain why.
Ravager is situational in its AoE use, I would normally use Heavy Repercussions (and will do so with the Devastator spec), for the extra slam damage and extra duration on Shield Blocks.

Can you explain why you choose to enchant for mastery, especially on your neck piece?
As mentioned before, I would usually use the crit/haste enchant but I put on Mastery by accident. Brain fart. I have actually changed it to Armor now. Even though I'm short on haste right now, I'd rather have a constant 3000 armor than a 1000 haste proc. One of my rings was not enchanted as I was using a legendary ring (Wall's Fell), before. Recently looted the Prydaz, and forgot to enchant the ring I put in place. Yes that looks bad, so I own up to my oversight. I may go back to the Wall's Fell since Shield Slam is so integral to my rotation, so getting a shorter Shield Wall CD may trump the Prydaz absorb. I'll have to research this further as I learn the Devastator rotation and spec.

Thoughts on trinkets in Legion? Which ones would you prefer to use?
I do like and own an 870 Grotesque Statuette, I just use the existing trinkets for the Haste on them. I would likely switch out the Phantasmal Echo to use the Statuette though, and have contemplated doing so. I've also swapped to using a Horn of Valor for extra Strength when we were farming Heroic EN content, helped with damage on Neltharian's Fury when I used it at specific situations. I also used it in some Mythic + runs for the extra damage.

While I would be concerned about the iLevel, it sounds like the Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker is huge. I'll have to pick that up next time BC Timewalking comes around. I'll look into Darkmoon: Immortality as well. Everything else sounds very situational, but I am not against switching gear for the task at hand.

Which encounter was your favorite to tank (whether current or past)?
Although the guild I ran it with wiped at 5%, I actually enjoyed Heroic Chromatic Anomaly. I do enjoy movement fights as it keeps me vested and aware of my surroundings. Tyrant Velhari also fell into this camp. It can get pretty boring staring at boss genitalia (Mannoroth and Gruel /shudder), and movement fights are a bit more difficult as positioning does come into play. Makes me feel even more accountable and I enjoy that aspect of tanking; making a wrong decision and moving the wrong direction always makes me feel awful for potentially wiping the attempt.

Other fights that are favorites include Kil'Jaeden (killed day before Wrath came out, which was huge for us at the time), Twin Valkyrs (I'm a shoot 'em Up fan, and the fight is an homage to a game called Ikaruga, so I nerded out on that), Socrethar (I was the robot, and that was fun dropping bombs on guildies who didn't want to die when we called wipes muwahaha), and HM Mimiron (I'd either play Ohio Players - Fire, or Prodigy - Firestarter during the fight). I haven't done it on mythic but twin dragons in Emerald Nightmare for the lore, seeing where the 4 green dragons came from in Vanilla is kind of a cool nerd-lore moment.

Thanks for your time. Should be online tonight messing with Devastator if you have any other follow-up directly.

Cerinety
Officer

Post by Cerinety » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:33 pm

add me on btag xcirus#1428, i would like to run some pluses with you and see how we get along if that is ok. Sorry for the late response

Charrone

Post by Charrone » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Sorry to do this, but after further consideration, I am going to withdraw my application to the guild. As much as I love tanking and pushing content, I have been enjoying some free time and I'm not in the mindset to get back into the raid grind quite yet. If I joined you, I wouldn't be able to focus myself on progressing my character further outside of raids (because I hate the concept of Mythic + and wish they never brought it in the game). Instead of half-assing it and potentially holding you back, I am going to remain a ronin, wandering the land. Good luck to you all in your future endeavors.

Cerinety
Officer

Post by Cerinety » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:17 pm

No problem, feel free to contact us if things change